TECHNET Archives

April 2020

From:
Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 2020 17:18:57 -0400
it depends, if it is large volume low mix - from design point of
view, you need 92% 1st off (tooling not optimized, just for prove of
concept market testing) prior to MFG, and qualification.  if you
cannot achieve that, it not consider manufacturable (for 6 sigma at
full production).  If it is low volume high mix, your design might be
able to get away with 85% 1st off - assume it is repairable and
thermal budgeted within the design (design allowable repair not over
2X for example... if key components required repair, it consider
scrape, for example).  you qualify using the repaired assembly to
proof worst case reliability.  You still aiming 6 sigma at
production... minimize the scrap is tightly linked with design for
manufacturing - google the topic might help.  IMHO.  (at least that
what I was taught by Sr.).
best of luck.
jk