TECHNET Archives

January 2020

From:
Sylvain Kaufmann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Sylvain Kaufmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 2020 09:19:07 +0000
Good morning Victor,

Our internal PCB manufacturing workshop as well as our usual CPB subcontractors gave us the rule of thumb that mixed materials/flexes shall be reflowed within 6h after baking/complete moisture removal. So, if I translate it into IPC MSD classification it becomes an MSL6 part with 6h floor life - not shelf life, sorry for the wrong wording.
As long as assembly floor people are supposedly trained to MSD handling accordingly, we considered classifying those special stack-ups this way was the most efficient in order to avoid any bad (and costly) surprises.

On a side note, this might as well be applicable to mixed rigid materials, not only flexes, but this is another story.
Regards
sylvain