TECHNET Archives

January 2020

From:
Graham Naisbitt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Graham Naisbitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jan 2020 16:07:04 +0000
Hi Techies

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Now that the mental fog is clearing from the Christmas and New Year indulgences, my response to Bev’s comments:

Bev asked: How can a non-ionic species cause an ECM problem?  I do not understand how one can detect a non-ionic species by SIR or ECM testing.  You need high pressure liquid chromatography for non-ionic compounds. Or, Graham, are you talking about non-ionic materials that break down in the heat of a solder wave or if it is exposed to the heat of a reflow profile?

OK - non-ionic surfactant additives are within almost all current process chemistry’s. They are commonly ultra-low surface energy material. I am not claiming that they alone can cause ECM, rather that they can “hide” ionics. However, as you say, their behaviour during the soldering process may change.

I am looking forward to catching up at APEX….

Kindest regards

Graham Naisbitt