TECHNET Archives

January 2020

From:
Joe Russeau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 2020 16:29:23 -0500
Rich,

It is an interesting topic.  We had a client last fall that had replaced
a number of their ESD mats.  Almost immediately they were observing
"corrosion" of metalized areas on some their IAg boards.  Prior to
changing those mats they had not experienced any of those problems.
They suspected an out-gassing of sulfur based on their research and
asked that we analyze the "cleanliness" of their boards.  We ran some
tests and found no appreciable contamination.

Fortunately they still had some of their old mats still in use.  So what
we suggested was that they expose some of their boards (from the same
date code) to the old mat material and other boards to the new mat
material to do a comparison.  Sure enough the boards exposed to the old
mat had no evidence of "corrosion".  Those exposed to the new material
showed some spots of "corrosion".   We then requested some samples of
the old mat and new mat material to run some tests, but the comparison
test we suggested was enough to convince them the mat was a prime
suspect.  The last I heard they were going to contact their supplier to
determine what could be done to remedy the situation.  I guess a lesson
here would be to always verify materials instead of just blindly placing
them into service.

Best Regards,

Joe Russeau

Precision Analytical Laboratory, Inc.