TECHNET Archives

January 2020

From:
"Stadem, Richard D" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Stadem, Richard D
Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 2020 16:30:08 +0000
I have evaluated various IAg plating products (full qualification), and I used the method of placing the PWBs inside a container of moistened modeling clay, as I learned from a paper by Dave Hillman, in fact. What I learned is that it does not take a lot of Sulfur exposure from a quantity standpoint to begin to show a reaction in the finish, but the evaluation made it very clear that the finish was NOT affected by any short-term exposure to any of several different airborne sources, including soaps, clay, etc. It usually took at least a week of constant exposure to some pretty high levels before you could see a visible reaction.

I also used direct contact with various tapes, rubber gloves (not nitrile though), paper, different types of plastic bags and "saran wrap", and others. What we learned:

1. Direct contact with certain tapes, papers, and Humidity Indicator Cards and certain types of desiccant bags (but not all of them) can cause heavy corrosion reaction, sometimes enough to impact solderability. It only took two weeks of direct exposure inside of a wrapped brick to reduce solderability.

2. I could not find a plastic bag or wrap that caused any visible reaction

3. The moist clay exposure inside of a closed plastic container took about 10 days before you could see a reaction.

4. The rubber gloves had no effect from normal handling, in fact, for some strange reason the areas heavily handled around the edges of the PWB actually showed a minor improvement in solder wetting using the wetting tests within IPC-TM-650 (6mm paste deposit, reflowed).

5. If the rubber gloves were left in contact with the PWB for a week, it definitely showed a reaction (turned slightly yellow), but had NO effect on solder wetting using the same wetting spread test directly on the affected areas.

6. Just like exposing your automobile to a Minnesota winter, certain cars will rot faster than others, and certain IAg products (and plating processes) were much more resistant than others.

7. We qualified two IAg products for use on programs. Both have worked very, very well, but only if the appropriate handling/storage, and processing methods are used.

8. Even if slightly tarnished such that some areas are slightly yellow, they all soldered up just fine.

We strictly enforce the use of nitrile gloves, the handling only by the fixtures whenever possible, and only by the edges otherwise. We have not seen any wetting issues if this is done.

I know that there are things I have seen and heard of such as leaving uncoated IAg CCAs inside of humidity chambers filled with condensation that can cause issues. Common sense prevails.