TECHNET Archives

January 2020

From:
Bev Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 2020 20:50:38 -0500
TechNetters,

Can someone interpret this sentence for me?

"As Sn is anisotropic, the size and orientation of the grain structure
contributes to CTE mismatch fractures along the larger axis of a solder
joint, laterally rather than vertically."

I know the following:

1.	Sn is anisotropic
2.	the size and orientation of the grain structure contributes to CTE
mismatch fractures

Is the latter part (.along the larger axis of a solder joint, laterally
rather than vertically.) always true and if so, why?  What am I missing?

Regards,

Bev