TECHNET Archives

January 2020

From:
Bev Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 2020 15:08:14 -0500
TechNetters,
Here are a few provisos though.
1) Chemistry still happens, so grain and intermetallic growth will still
happen although slowly since your samples are presumably stored under room
temperature conditions.
2) Surface oxidation will occur but for tin based solder this is not an
issue. Could be an issue if you are talking about iron based samples and
your storage conditions are on the moist side.
3) I have seen the growth of lead whiskers out from the surface of
cross-sections of samples with high lead solders.  I believe this was the
result of both the pressure and temperature of the curing epoxy, so not
likely to occur in RT stored x-section samples. However, I have seen enough
change in the surface of more traditional tin/lead and lead-free samples
that a re-polish with the finest grit was required.

Regards,
Bev.