TECHNET Archives

August 2019

From:
Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Aug 2019 10:41:59 -0700
Hi Steve-

A press-fit is a swage connection. This means that due to scraping (for
cleaning) and interface pressure (due to the connector pin deforming)
results in clean surfaces with more than sufficient contact pressure
maintained to prevent moisture (or other contaminant) from infiltrating to
the metallic interface where it can create insulative oxides.

That was a mouthful!

Anyway, if you understand that mouthful, it is apparent that the board
needs to be thick enough to maintain pressure on the section of the pin
which is designed to be collapsed. You can grab a connector and use a set
of calipers to get a pretty good idea for where the pin begins to exceed
the hole diameter. Scratch that point and then measure how far from the end
of the pin that is. That is the minimum amount which must protrude from the
bottom of the board post-insertion.

Wayne Thayer