TECHNET Archives

May 2019

From:
Christopher Brand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Christopher Brand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 May 2019 14:11:16 -0500
Greetings,

I'm having issues with open vias on a couple of runs of PCBAs and was
hoping to get some help on finding a root cause or at least point me in
the right direction.  I know that there is lots of knowledge and
experience on this forum and I'm hoping someone will say they've seen
this before, as my knowledge is rather limited on this.

Here are a few photos of the vias in question.

    https://ludlums.com/software/BadVias/badvia_01.jpg
    https://ludlums.com/software/BadVias/badvia_02.jpg
    https://ludlums.com/software/BadVias/badvia_03.jpg
    https://ludlums.com/software/BadVias/badvia_04.jpg
    https://ludlums.com/software/BadVias/badvia_05.jpg
    https://ludlums.com/software/BadVias/badvia_06.jpg
    https://ludlums.com/software/BadVias/badvia_07.jpg
    https://ludlums.com/software/BadVias/badvia_08.jpg
    https://ludlums.com/software/BadVias/badvia_09.jpg
    https://ludlums.com/software/BadVias/badvia_10.jpg
    https://ludlums.com/software/BadVias/badvia_11.jpg
    https://ludlums.com/software/BadVias/badvia_12.jpg

On some, the via barrel has a void in the center and on others the edge
of the barrel doesn't connect with the pad, Both issues are causing an
open via as you can see in the photos.

I know that the board shop recently changed up their plating tanks (new
chemical and power supply).  Could these bad vias be the result of
insufficient current in the plating process or some other process?

I'd be much appreciative of any insight this forum could give.

--
Thank you kindly,

Christopher Brand
Ludlum Measurements, Inc.