TECHNET Archives

February 2014

From:
Joyce Koo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Joyce Koo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 2014 18:29:44 +0000
(1) those are part of AABUS I believe.
(2) did (long time ago and Before BlackBerry) have to specify supplier shall not use no-clean flux for balling and subsequently clean using solvents - reason is, no-clean surface oxidation are prevent proper clean, unless done aggressively - either by chemical or physical.  You still risk to have trapped flux partially "cleaned".
(3) extraction may not be good enough.  THB/pressure cooker bias for the package (daisy chained) style might be OK.  Any change of sites of production, die shrink, etc. should be requal.  Did have issues with change location and using lower grade of rinse DI water.
(4) when you deal with CSP, be careful about ionics if bottom cct is only protected by a thin layer of dielectrics (flip chip).  If it is face up and with a silicon cap, not much of concern if item 2 is apply.  - that also apply to PWB surface, the narrow spacing between the solder balls should be treated differently than the others.
(5) I can see two group divergent in the industry: class 3 stay with large format - no driving force to really go down to smaller form, fit, function.  Only un-manned might have weight/format issue. But the risk factor (since it is un-manned= remove controlled)is not like aircraft before.  The class 1 and 2 possibly using CSPs, due to handsets, but all depend upon the cost/supplier chain - usually not well controlled (some of them use 3rd party distribution house.  You don't have any info about process details, what flux used for example.  Not mention the locations, DI water purities, die size, etc.).  It is very hard to draft a spec (so everybody can agree behind it... you wouldn't get enough vote for it).  So AABUS might be the one if you have big stick to swing.
My 1.8 cents.

Joyce Koo
Researcher
Materials Interconnect Lab