TECHNET Archives

June 2007

From:
Ted Tontis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Ted Tontis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2007 11:31:26 -0500
I think Ryan is spot on. I had done some research into the calibration of
Pick and Place equipment at my last place of employment. I was in the
process of trying to come up with a cost effective attack plan to insure
that the pick and place equipment stayed in calibration.
Down time was a problem. Three lines, two Fuji's and one universal with
multiple change over meant that there was no window of opportunity for
calibrations or worse unscheduled down times. This is what I came up with.
The line would be calibrated professionally. Data collection would start as
soon as the line went operational. Data would be collected on anything and
everything nozzle wear, miss picks, table crash anything. From there it
would go into a data base where the data would be used to try and trend the
issues. The data would be used to set up a maintenance program that followed
a scheduled down time, which is less stressful as a unscheduled down time.
The line would then be recalibrated using glass plates. I left before I
could put this in place and I think the largest hurdle was the ME's, Line
supervisors, line operators or what ever you may call them have to resist
the need to fix it and go. They hate documentation because it slows them
down. The other worth sharing is that all the tweaks that have been taking
place on your line to keep it going will have to be adjusted out. If you can
collect clean data your down time will go down and your accuracy will go up.
It will just take some time to collect it and process it. This is not a
quick fix but a long term solution.

Ted