DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

August 2006

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Patrick Courtade <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2006 12:07:38 -0500
Hey Gary,
        I agree with Ray. By now you should have realized that if you want something "planned well," you might as well plan it yourself. I suggest you educate yourself on the subject as much as possible, decide on the hole sizes and locations that meet your needs, and create a mechanical symbol for the break-tab in your CAD tool. You can then place them anywhere you desire. You can create several different versions to meet different needs and requirements. I would also suggest a detail on the fab drawing and a panel outline drawing. The benefits and cost prevention associated to this approach far outweigh the very small cost that may or may not be charged for setup by the fab shop. Afterall, the idea is to design a specific panel for a specific purpose right? Why leave anything to chance? A picture is worth a thousand words.

The symbols can include the padstacks / drill hits, SM clearance, and panel drawing lines. They can even contain comp/CU keepouts to aid in the design phase. What if the fabricator forgets to back off the planes around the holes they add? Scary... but it happens.

The benefits to using this approach are as follows:
1) Guess work and spec interpretation is eliminated by the fabricator
2) The break-tab drill hits are included in the drill data (You control their locations)
3) Assembly / Quality / and Test issues can be avoided such as vias, TP's, lands, other features being too close to the break tab holes. Solder joints and via barrels can be damaged during depanelization if they are too close.
4) Hardware and artwork becomes more predictable between vendors and for future revisions.
5) Language barriers are dissolved (useful for overseas mfg.)

I hope these ideas can help you make the right decision.

Regards
Patrick Courtade, CID
CAD Manager - Dallas
7Core Inc