LEADFREE Archives

May 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
MA/NY DDave <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2006 00:41:36 -0500
Hi JohnB, JeanC, IPC LF Listservers,

I am glad to see that Jean-Paul entered this note series after reviewing
your web site.   I have not reviewed your web site, yet I wanted to add
comments based on Jean-Paul's review, which I hope was complete.

Sorry I have not reviewed your site yet. I have reviewed Jean-Pauls a few
times over the years.

First off Lead-Free in certain applications with certain solder joint
design features will yield superior reliability. We learned this years ago
from other discussions with J-P, WernerE, GGrossman, etc. It's all a
mechanics of materials thing. For wide sloppy pin in hole, SnPb wins the
reliability debate usually. Time at temperature, the swings of temperature,
and life goals have to be added to the mix to get the answer.

If you are using reliability as a mantra, you will need to have references,
i.e. case studies to show when LF loses compared to SnPb.

NOW

What I would like to suggest is a simple table someplace on your site of
pros and cons. Hopefully you can keep this a simple table that makes
engineers see the value and the anti-value of each soldering methodolgy.

My expectation of the results of this table are the following.

I expect based on the environment: SnPb   wins
I expect based on cost:            SnPb   wins

I expect based on Reliability      SnPb   wins
I expect based on Reliability      Pb-free wins
 (For LF this is based on years out thoughts after Pb-free's
 (introductory process problems (the bathtub) has been worked out
 (As joints get smaller Pb-free wins)

I expect based on the EU           Pb-free wins (for now)

Yours in Engineering, Dave
YiEngr, MA/NY DDave