LEADFREE Archives

May 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2006 16:27:40 -0700
Hi,  Jean-Paul,

Apologies for the delay in replying the last week has been truly manic.

I agree with you, the reliability of the product for its intended use is
what matters. It is very apparent though that in a lot of applications a
"drop in" is probably not going to work without some engineering forethought
acting as a "reliability enabler". I have put some papers on the web site
which look at aspects of "wait and see" in terms of reliability I  have now
I suppose, to come clean and air my ideas on reliability.

I feel that in many areas groups like the IPC lead free-forum are in many
areas, "too expert".

For instance you yourself, Werner, many others on this forum have a huge
amount of experience in the materials properties of lead free solders; you
have had to "go there" because of the legislation.

Consider though the lead free listing for IPC. I just had an advice through
that the total distribution list of the IPC lead-free link list is 762
people. Which I am sure no one would argue does not represent the whole of
the electronics industry, most of which is being directly impacted by lead
free, and all of which is being impacted by the changes in components
materials due to it.

My point is that reliability comes about as a result of the materials and
components chosen to go into an assembly, the design of that assembly, and
the processing that it is put through during the course of its manufacture.
All of these things can be assessed, controlled and understood with
experience.

Unfortunately, I believe that the majority of the industry is on a virtual
100% learning curve with a process with which they have no experience at the
present time. We should therefore expect expect fall out due to that reason
as well as in designs where the replacement was not a "drop in" for the
original application.

I am trying at the present time to get some of the manufacturers that I know
are having issues to report this - but as you say it is difficult, - who
wants to admit their product is "out of control".

I do however have a plan................8-)

To enable information to be shared anonymously, I am going to arrange an
anonymous log-in FTP site on the http://wwww.rohsusa.com web site over the
next few days.

This will enable photos to be shared along with problem descriptions without
any stigma attached to "company xyz".

This is indeed a very emotive issue. Take last week, there was a press
release went out to the media stating that T-Mobile and Cingular had removed
the Motorola RAZR telephones from their stores and that Motorola had done a
batch recall. Here is the original headline that came through the news
channel:

Cingular, T-Mobile halt Razr sales due to glitch
Motorola said only a limited number of phones were affected and the problem
would have no impact on its financial results. The Razr, lauded for its thin
design, was first sold in late 2004 and is still a key product for Motorola.

Well guess what, if you had searched on that same link on Reuters and CNN
etc just an hour or so later you would find that the story was "pulled" the
banner is still there on both services but the story is mysteriously
"unavailable". And no I am not saying it was due to a lead free process just
pointing out that companies will go to extreme lengths not to have their
issues aired in public.

I will circulate the list with the anonymous ftp upload site once I have it
set up securely. I do not believe it will bring instant responses, but it
will be there when needed, you have to do what you can - right? Hope you all
like the additions and changes to the web site.

Kind regards,

John

http://www.rohsusa.com
http://www.rohsasia.com