LEADFREE Archives

May 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2006 09:03:00 -0500
If it was only commercial electronics that's affected from tin whiskers
that would be bad enough, but to have a nuclear reactor shutdown because
of tin whiskers is downright scarey. This was documented as late as July
of last year.

http://nepp.nasa.gov/whisker/reference/tech_papers/2005-dadonna-nuclear-
reactor-shutdown.pdf

Just a couple of months prior to that, the US Airforce issued a
Airworthiness Advisory for all Airforce hardware. I have it on my page
at:  http://www.stevezeva.homestead.com/files/USAFSolderAdv.pdf

Quote:

"GUIDANCE/RECOMMENDATIONS:

The safety of USAF equipment must not be sacrificed in the transition to
lead-free solder practices. Though there are many alternative solder
alloys available to replace traditional tin-lead, none of them has
passed the reliability testing required of aerospace-quality hardware."

Unquote.

So it is not just iPods that are affected...

-Steve Gregory-