LEADFREE Archives

May 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Guenter Grossmann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2006 09:42:03 +0200
All

Just forget about separating the CrVI layer from ist surface. The definition that a homogeneous material is a material that can not mechanically be separated in further homogeneous materials is a mnemonic (Joke for Werner: a donkey bridge). It's to illustrate that the individual layer is addressed not the entire piece which is coated. You can not weight the CrVI layer but you know there is this layer and it is CRVI which is banned that's it and you have to use CrIII instead. The problem is to proof that the layer is CrVI if you are not sure. Also that's possible. But forget any analysis on RoHS compatibility on your own. It's prohibitively expensive and work intensive. One can scratch at the surfe of the analysis but an in depth analysis is a job for a well equipped lab and a customer with a big (full) wallet.

Best regards

Guenter

EMPA
Swiss Federal Laboratories  for Materials Testing and Research
Centre for Reliability
Guenter Grossmann,  Senior Engineer

8600 Duebendorf
Switzerland

Phone: xx41 1 823 4279
Fax :     xx41 1 823 4054
mail:     [log in to unmask]

>>> [log in to unmask] 19.05.2006 21:10 >>>
I realize it is difficult to win battles with pure logic.  I've
watched Star Trek in all its permutations.

John