LEADFREE Archives

May 2006

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Sat, 20 May 2006 10:17:06 +0300
I haven't time for a detailed reply, but it's clear that Mr Franklin's
knowledge of toxicology, epidemiology, chemistry, earth sciences and
engineering are sadly lacking. All he has done is propagate errors of
others, usually out of context.

I don't know what his qualifications are but I did find this:
[quote starts]
About RoHSwell

The name came to me in 2004, a couple of months into a contract job with
a local electronics firm here in Fort Collins, Colorado. I was helping
to define and implement a RoHS compliance program. The requirements were
new to me and to all but a few of the employees at the company. I
quickly realized that information about RoHS and WEEE was hard to come
by. The whole program had an alien feel, and Roswell, New Mexico sprung
to mind. It was a short skip to RoHSwell.

My contract work ended with the cancellation of the compliance program.
However, my interest in RoHS and WEEE remained. I had learned a great
deal about the specifics of implementing a compliance program and
developed contacts within the industry. Information on the web was still
sparse and hard to locate. I resolved to eliminate that particular
barrier, and within a month I had launched RoHSwell.com.
[quote ends]

So here we have a guy who admits he knew nothing about the subject in
2004 and who was so competent that he states his client abandoned the
work he had done on it, causing the bug to bite him, probably with a
view to declaring himself an expert to obtain other contracts. IOW, he
had an apparent vested interest in studying the subject. It's called
jumping on the bandwagon.

Gordon, Harvey, Joe, Werner, John and many others (I'm too modest to
name them all :-) ) have been arguing the **scientific** wisdom of RoHS
from well before the time that the Directive split off from the proposed
WEEE one and, I believe, none of us have any vested interest other than
the well-being of our industry. I had published my feelings on the web
long before Mr Franklin had started his study. You can see what I wrote
at http://www.cypenv.org/worldenv/files/sustainability.htm#RoHS (this
was originally published on the now-defunct protonique.com site).

Brian