IPC-600-6012 Archives

May 2006

IPC-600-6012@IPC.ORG

From:
Lee parker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Combined Forum of D-33a and 7-31a Subcommittees)
Date:
Wed, 31 May 2006 10:28:59 -0400
Franklin

At the 2005 Expo I presented a paper that quantified both of these
measurements in terms of the first principals tensile and shear stresses at
the point of rupture. The peel test produces a simultaneous and essentially
uncontrolled combination of both tensile and shear stresses. Ideally you
would prefer only one of these stress to be present an the extent
measurable. The thermal stress test produces only a shear stress between
layers of materials. The drawback here is that the temperature is dynamic
and consequently the stress changes until the entire package reaches thermal
equilibrium. Of the two I prefer the thermal test, but the drawbacks can be
signoficant.

Best regards

Lee

J. Lee Parker, Ph.D.