IPC-600-6012 Archives

May 2006

IPC-600-6012@IPC.ORG

From:
Denny Cantwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Combined Forum of D-33a and 7-31a Subcommittees)
Date:
Wed, 31 May 2006 09:05:38 -0500
Franklin,
Peel strengths (or SMT pull-off tests) are a measure of the material
supplier's bond strength of the copper foil to the base material.  The
Bond Strength test measures the fabrication effects---did the pad get
too hot during the drilling, which will cause low bond strengths, or the
pth process effects---good bonding of the electroless or direct
deposition to the hole wall, excessive soak times in chemistries, which
could cause "pink ring" type phenomena and loss of bond strength, etc.
There is a need for both types of tests.  Just my personal opinion, but
the frequency of these tests is only like once a month or so.

Dennis J. Cantwell
R & D Liaison
Printed Circuits, Inc.
1200 West 96th Street