ENVIRONET Archives

April 2006

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2006 13:03:18 +0300
OK, I can give some info:
- aluminium and alloys of all sorts is the most profitable recycling
material and scrap is even quoted on the London Metal Exchange, it is so
valuable.
- PET bottles are also very valuable and are mostly exported to China
for making fibres (ropes, carpets, polyester fabrics, polyester "down"
for anoraks etc., cheap plastic articles)
- other SORTED plastics, esp. HDPE, are also good money spinners.
- other non-ferrous metals (stainless steel, copper, brass, lead etc.)
are profitable and justify the cost of sorting
- paper, cardboard etc. are marginally profitable
- ferrous metals are marginally profitable and have the advantage of
easy automatic sorting
- glass is tricky. If the householder sorts bottles by colour, then 15%
can be economically added to the melt for similar colour bottles,
provided that transport costs are not excessive. Many bottles are made
today in the Far East and transport of scrap there is not economical.
However, 10% powdered glass can be added to the raw mix for making
cement. Roughly broken glass can be added to the aggregate for concrete
and asphalt mixes, colour no object. The only economical gain in using
glass for cement/concrete is a reduction of landfill costs.

However, recycling materials does require discipline, as well as the
infrastructure.

Brian

--
http://www.cypenv.org Cyprus environment/energy