LEADFREE Archives

October 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Roger Stoops <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Thu, 13 Oct 2005 14:39:37 -0400
Pratap,

This example may not apply to this discussion, since in your example
there might have been more than enough Bi to create the ternary alloy.
A 2-4% Bi/remainder Sn mix on a component lead is much thinner than
Sn58Bi coated (not plated, right?) boards.  Why in the world would
someone provide Sn52Bi boards is beyond me?  Was this a test case to see
what would happen, or was it a production board (very unlikely)?
Doesn't seem to be a real world example, but then again, what do I know?

Turning out to be a top notch discussion!  And if anyone runs across any
test results of Bi in Pb-bearing or Pb-free soldering, I would be
interested!

Keep up the good work guys, gals, and whoever's not covered in the first
two!
Roger