LEADFREE Archives

October 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Harvey Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 2005 06:44:20 -0700
Dave

Assuming that eutectic solder lead in consumer products is an
environmental threat, and you qualify with "probably"-- why not recycle
that 0.5% of solder usage rather than ban it?
Don't you think that silver is probably an environmental threat? Aren't
you concerned about the CO2 and increased energy usage threats of l-f
solder?
Karl Tiefert of Agilent built an energy model back in 2001 just for l-f
reflow ovens: increased power requirement over 1.2B kWh.  He pointed out
that increase would require about 60 power plants the size of the Diablo
Nuclear plant in California. His model was based on 27,500 reflow ovens in
the world.

Yours in ecologically sound engineering,

Harvey Miller