DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

February 2005

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
James Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2005 14:13:00 -0600
I have a small program that I wrote that interfaces to P-CAD that generates
spiral inductors in PCB, based on several requirements as input by the
designer.

Trace width, Trace spacing, Number of Turns, Layer and Outer Spiral Radius
(or Diameter)

Other things the designer can set up are the shape- like Circular, Square,
Octagonal or Heganonal Spiral and Direction of the Spiral (Clockwise or
counterclockwise).

I then place the Spiral into the PCB design.

I also calculate what the Inductance will be of this spiral... which comes
pretty close to what the designer usually has already calculated.

I wrote the program thinking that it might be used by designers doing RF -
or other work that may require spiral inductors on PCBs.

I got no interest in it, and so figured that designers weren't using P-CAD
for their RF layout tool, or perhaps they are generating the spiral
inductors using some other methods.

Regards,

James Jackson
Oztronics