LEADFREE Archives

January 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
"MacFadden, Todd" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 17:09:22 -0500
Hi Camille,

Yes, the epoxy resins used to make FR-4 printed circuit boards (which
account for over 90% of PCBs made today) use the common brominated flame
retardant, TBBPA (tetrabromobisphenol A). While early drafts of the EU
electronics directives called for substitution of TBBPA, that restriction
never made the cut and there are currently NO major legislative restrictions
on TBBPA in the EU or elsewhere (though a health risk assessment is
currently being conducted in the EU, the outcome of which may affect this
status). But for now, YES, a PCB with the brominated FR TBBPA is compliant.

Here is a nice concise fact sheet on TBBPA:
http://www.bsef-site.com/env_health/tbbpa/BSEF%20TBBPA%20Final.pdf

Also, my former employer, the Toxics Use Reduction Institute has some
excellent resources on brominated flame retardants
(http://www.turi.org/content/content/view/full/1966/) including the
following presentation on alternatives to TBBPA by Steve Scheiffers of
Motorola:

www.turi.org/content/content/download/1843/9558/file/scheiffers.pdf

Regards,
Todd