LEADFREE Archives

January 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
David Douthit <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2005 10:29:01 -0700
Pascal,

I am sure Werner will "jump in" on this one but let me be the first.

There are serious issues concerning the dwell time during testing of Pb
free solder joints.
Because the creep rate is much slower for these type of
solders the dwell time must be increased. The increase should match the
"worst case" conditons
expected in the field. Generally the dwell times should be increased to
30 minutes which allows
release of the accumulated strains.

The Swiss Federal Institute for Material Testing and Research has a very
informative 6 page report about this issue in .pdf format.

Do not try to save money by reducing test times.
It can result in some very nasty fleld problems.

David A. Douthit
Manager
LoCan LLC