LEADFREE Archives

January 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Leo Higgins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2005 11:59:30 -0800
A fairly large number of Japanese IC companies had Sn-Bi as an approved lead
finish with approximately 2-3 wt % Bi.  More Bi appeared to result in finish
cracking during lead forming.  It was claimed that the Bi greatly deterred
whiskering.  Another benefit may be avoidance of the damaging allotropic
phase transition that occurs in tin at < 13 C ('tin pest').  Several sources
have stated that only several tenths of a percent of Sb, Bi, or Pb in
solution with Sn will prevent this destructive phase transition.  So far,
almost all the focus of concern on matte Sn lead finishes has been on
whiskering, and long term solderability.  Since Green legislation is driving
Sb2O3 from IC component mold compounds, there may be unreasonable resistance
to putting Sb into matte tin.  Continuing concerns with Pb contamination of
SAC solders in mixed system assembly, and the possibility of concentrating
the 96 C ternary SnBiPb eutectic in critical sites due to a zone-refining
mechanism during cool down from reflow, may disallow Bi in matte Sn.  I
wonder if the allowed 1000 ppm of Pb 'contamination' would be sufficient to
prevent tin pest.....  Some are equally concerned that SAC solders could
suffer tin pest, although one report indicates this should not be a concern
due to the very low solubility of Ag in the Sn.  This could be an
interesting discussion, and one that is long overdue.

Best regards,
Leo

Director of Applications Engineering
ASAT, Inc.
3755 Capital of Texas Highway, Suite 100
Austin, Texas     78704

ph     512-383-4593
fx      512-383-1590
www.asat.com

The information contained in this electronic message is CUSTOMER/SUPPLIER
PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION intended only for the use of the
individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the
distribution and copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If
you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the
sender by electronic mail. Thank you.