LEADFREE Archives

January 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
to Paul Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 17:12:05 +0000
Dear All

I know this subject has been banded about a couple of times, but i was
interested in the direction some of you guys are going on this subject.
The WEEE labelling appears to be sorted (crossed out wheelie bin etc), and
so to is the PCB assembly identification (as supplied by Jedec), but what
about RoHS?.

There appears to be no "general purpose label" for the RoHS compliance on
the market, which I see as important, I think that the people who set out
the WEEE label should have done a RoHS one as well at the same time, its
not rocket science is it?.

The problem for many of you, like the company I'm working for,  is that
there is a long supply chain and multiple stores locations, we also have
parts back in for refurbish and we out source both assembly work and units
to sub-contractors and OEMs alike and we assemble in house as well, in
general we have parts every where.  We have many assemblies that are either
"RoHS compliant" or will be either coming in "RoHS compliant" over the next
17 months.  We wish to label these as compliant so that we can ensure that
our stocks have been properly stock turned and also to maintain
traceability.  Obviously we don't want to label every nut and bolt, but we
do want to label the 'higher level assemblies' that are compliant, and also
importantly identify the outside of our units, as basically after
conversion there would be no visible differences.

If other companies are labelling their units, what symbol is being used? As
one problem for our goods inwards is identifying the 'RoHS compliancy'
label for every supplier!!

My suggestion would the a simple (light )green "RoHS" in plain Arial text,
maybe the directive number in small print underneath, does any one else
have any ideas.

regards

Paul

PS Perhaps I should patent my label!!!!!

Paul R Taylor
Senior Engineer, Product Supply Group
Pitney Bowes Ltd
email: [log in to unmask]