LEADFREE Archives

January 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 11:41:28 +0200
As I read the previous messages in the thread, my mind was flashing,
"Basel Convention" and I'm glad you brought this up. Strictly speaking,
any electronics soldered with tin/lead or containing any one of a number
of other hazardous substances must be considered as hazardous waste
within the meaning of the Convention. If this were applied to the
letter, end-of-life electronics should not normally cross frontiers. I
would add a rider that this would be doubly the case if flux residues
remain on the assemblies, as these will contain heavy metal salts.

Brian