LEADFREE Archives

January 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Kay Nimmo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 08:46:15 -0000
From a recent draft legal article........
Please dont ask me any questions!
Kay

*********
E Marking
The WEEE Directive provides for two marking requirements, one a 'crossed
out wheeled bin' , and another that is being prepared by the
standardization committee - European Committee for Electrotechnical
Standardization (CENELEC). Standardization is highlighted by the
Commission as one possible root for implementing IPP.  environmental
product policy. Here I highlight issue of legal certainty and validity
of such an approach.

Article 11(2) deals with information for treatment facilities.  It
provides for a similar but separate marking requirement to that provided
for in Article 10(3), that is marking requirement for a crossed out
wheeled bin on most electrical and electronic products.  The simple
option of just using the same crossed out wheeled bin was rejected as
some companies already mark some of their products with the crossed out
wheeled bin. .

The Commission provided CENELEC with a mandate to make a recommendation
for a standard to fulfill the Article 11(2) requirements.  The Draft
Recommendation,  which is set to be adopted under the voluntary
standardization procedure is set to be adopted by the end of 2004.

The CENELEC standard provides for a mark to identify the producer and
when the product is put on the market as required under Article 11(2).
More sensitive matter, from a legal viewpoint, is that CENELEC standard
also contains an  'Exemption from the Marking Requirement.'  Clause 4(3)
of the Draft Recommendation makes provisions for an exemption from the
marking mandate. First it sets out conditions for being exempted, they
are: Size and Functionality.

If a producer meets one of these two criteria the marks (date and
producer) can be put on:
        i)     On the flag on the fixed supply cord (if any), and
       ii)    Operating instructions and warranty certificates; or
       iii)   Mark on packaging

Whilst this may be practical it is not legal. There is confusion with a
mistaken view that the limited derogation in Article 10(3) for marking
not to be on the products is imported into Article 11(2). There is no
such provision.

More simply the WEEE Directive does not provide for an exemption to the
requirement for 'a mark on the appliance'. The Council and European
Parliament called for 'a mark on the appliance' covered by the
Directive. This wording is too clear. No provision is made for
exceptions to the marking requirement like that provided in Art 10(3).
If the co-legislators had intended that they would have said that.

Second, Article.11 (2) requirement runs in conjunction with Article 8 on
the 'Financing in respect of WEEE from private households'.  Art.8 (2)
provides: 'For products put on the market later than 13 August 2005 ....
Member States shall ensure that each producer provides a guarantee when
placing a product on the market showing that the management of all WEEE
will be financed and that producers clearly mark their products in
accordance with Article 11(2).'

It would appear that Art.11 (2) marking requirement is key to ensure
that the individual finance approach taken for products put on the
market after 13 August 2005 works. An individual finance approach
requires products to be marked so the producer can pay for new WEEE.

Third, a key part of the provision is beyond the powers of the WEEE
Directive, and should not have been inserted into the standard. Whilst
compliance with the standard' provides a presumption of conformity with
the Directive.  There is a presumption of conformity, were, legally none
exists.

The matter could be resolved if the Commission adopts a Decision on the
marking requirement to comply with Article 11(2) that complies with
Article 11(2). The Commission however sees their role as to promote 'a
recommendation'. So, a European standard contrary to the Directive is
set to be adopted by the end of 2004.

The standard has the force of law in most Member States as their
implementing measures refer to the standard as providing 'a presumption
of conformity' with the Directive. Whilst this presumption can be
refuted by adding another mark, this is a costly and time consuming
path, which in the meantime, would prevent a product being brought onto
the market.  So by fact of circumstance, the standard becomes binding.