TECHNET Archives

December 2004

From:
"Brooks,Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brooks,Bill
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 2004 09:45:41 -0800
As a practical substitute for fossil fuels, it is much less heat producing
per volume than fossil fuels... therefore it takes much more of it to
produce the same amount of energy that you would get out of fossil fuels...
but it can be produced and replenished efficiently without pollution... all
the by-products of combustion are natural occurring and present elements.
Not so for fossil fuels. And it would reduce the demand and dependence on
oil for our energy needs... thus making oil a reduced player of importance
in the world's economy.

I wonder though, if I was to use Hydrogen gas as my heating source at home
would it make the house humid? At least if you ran the hydrogen powered car
in the garage with the doors closed, the only result would be steamed up
windows... :)

I think BMW made a prototype car many years ago when there was much
published on the idea... The Fuel Cell should make electric driven vehicles
much more practical and efficient than the hydrogen combustion engine.

The article at that website says you can make water through the use of the
fuel cell as well. So it's not a far fetched idea. It must be very pure
water I would think...

http://www.nmsea.org/Curriculum/7_12/Fuel_Cells/fuel_cells.htm

 So making your own fuel to run the system could be done with electrolysis
and you would need batteries to store electricity and a power supply to run
the gas production, a storage container for the gas and a pump to move the
gas into the container, a fuel cell to convert the gas into water and heat
and electricity... hmmm sounds a bit like a perpetual motion closed loop to
me... except for the fact that it's driven by solar cells daily...

You might be able to make a self sufficient homestead out in the boonies
with something like that... :) Cleaner that making fuel from digesters that
produce methane or some other such process... I remember reading somewhere
that one of the Hollywood elites is driving a car that runs on chicken
manure... I would much prefer not to have to deal with that...

http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/methane_bate.html

Happy Friday...

Bill Brooks - KG6VVP
PCB Design Engineer , C.I.D.+, C.I.I.
Tel: (760)597-1500 Ext 3772 Fax: (760)597-1510
e-mail:[log in to unmask]
http://www.dtwc.com
http://pcbwizards.com