TECHNET Archives

October 2004

From:
Joyce Koo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 2004 09:52:18 -0400
"Low-ESR Aluminum Electrolytic Failures Linked to Taiwanese Raw Material
Problems

  On September 13, 2002, it was reported to Passive Component Industry
Magazine by contacts in Japan that an unusually high rate of failures of
low-ESR aluminum electrolytic capacitors produced in Taiwan by Lelon
Electronics, Luxon Electronics, and other aluminum capacitor manufacturers
had been traced to a problem with an aqueous electrolyte that had been used
throughout the Taiwanese electrolytic capacitor industry.
  Reportedly, the problem developed after a materials scientist working for
Rubycon Corporation in Japan left the company and began working for Luminous
Town Electric in China. The scientist then developed a copy of Rubycon P-50
type water-based electrolyte, used in low-ESR aluminum electrolytic
capacitors developed by Luminous and equivalent to the Rubycon ZA and ZL
series. Subsequently, the scientist's staff members defected with the
formula, and began to sell and electrolyte at a low price to many of the
major aluminum electrolytic houses in Taiwan, including Luxon Electronics,
Lelon Electronics, and other aluminum capacitor manufacturers. (IBM has
stated that five companies were affected, while other sources in Taiwan
suggest that as many as 11 companies were affected.)
   Unfortunately, the staff members who defected from Luminous Town Electric
with the formula copied only the partial formula, and the subsequent
electrolyte produced was unstable when packaged in a finished aluminum
capacitor. The instability of the electrolyte in the low-ESR aluminum
electrolytic capacitors using this water-based electrolyte leads to the
build-up of excess hydrogen inside the aluminum can, which results in either
a rupture of the can itself or destruction of the rubber end-seal. Either
failure is potentially catastrophic due to the leaking electrolyte.
According to top material scientists in the aluminum capacitor industry, if
the correct amount of additives is not mixed into a water-based electrolyte,
electrolysis will occur, releasing a high amount of hydrogen gas in the can
and resulting in catastrophic failure.
Subsequent lifetime tests on low-ESR aluminum electrolytic capacitors
produced in Taiwan by Japanese aluminum capacitor hours revealed the
occurrence of catastrophic failure of the Taiwanese aluminum electrolytic
capacitors after 2000 hours of operation on parts rated for 4000 hours of
operation. Intel has stated that the aluminum capacitors with the poor
electrolyte may fail after only 250 hours of operation.
Industry sources have further revealed that many top companies in the
computer motherboard and telecom infrastructure businesses have been
scrambling to obtain low-ESR parts from aluminum electrolytic capacitor
suppliers who did not have plants in Taiwan. Subsequent reports suggest that
Rubycon Corporation, Nichicon, and Nippon Industries (NIC Components) have
been inundated with orders for low-ESR aluminum capacitors, as more
customers shy away from Taiwanese-produced parts. Rubycon, Nichicon, and
Nippon Industries ( NIC Components) do not have plants in Taiwan, and thus
were not exposed to the bad electrolyte in their low-ESR aluminum
capacitors. Further intelligence has revealed that lead times for low-ESR
aluminum capacitors are now increasing, and price increases are imminent as
Japanese suppliers prepare to fill the void left by this unfortunate
incident.
Many industry insiders note that some major Japanese aluminum capacitor
houses also have offshore production plants in Taiwan, including Nippon
Chemi-Con (Hsien Plant) and Matsushita (Nantou Hsien Plant). However, our
research has concluded that many of these companies obtain their
electrolytes directly from Japan and were probably not affected by the
tainted supply. Other Taiwanese suppliers, such as Jamicon (Kamei),
apparently were not affected because they obtain their electrolytes from
Japan. Teapo has stated that it also gets its electrolytes from Japan, and
was not affected or disqualified.
Some industry insiders further speculate that many of the original equipment
manufacturers in the computer industry may not be aware of the problem
because visibility into component supply chains is limited due to the
increased usage of contract electronic manufacturers in Taiwan. Other
industry sources have commented that the movement of contract electronic
manufacturers to Asia, coupled with a tendency to source low-cost components
locally, opens up the potential for additional component problems in the
future.

Effects on The Market
Total Taiwanese production of aluminum electrolytic capacitors is
approximately 22.5 billion pieces or 30% of the global aluminum electrolytic
capacitor unit shipments. Thus, the failure of these Taiwanese aluminum
electrolytic capacitors could have a major impact on the prime industries
that consume these products, namely computer motherboards and high-speed
modems; although, depending on the number of parts sold and range of buyers,
the problem may affect the power supply, monitor, and game console
industries. It is important to emphasize, however, that the products that
have been affected are only the low-ESR type aluminum capacitors, which
account for less than 20% of Taiwan's aluminum electrolytic capacitor
production volume.

Potential Long-Term Effects
The effects of the bad electrolyte on the aluminum electrolytic capacitor
supply chain are not known at this time. Two factors play an important role
in determining the effects:

How long have these electrolytes been in the field;

Has the problem been contained to Taiwan, or have the electrolytes found
their way to other nations?
As the industry becomes aware of the problem, it may experience a shift in
the supply chain for aluminum capacitors. This could result in an increase
of lead times and prices for low-ESR aluminum capacitors.

Publisher's Note: Information about this story was obtained from multiple
sources, many of which wish to remain anonymous due to the ramifications to
the entire supply chain for aluminum electrolytic capacitors. However, the
story has been confirmed by a variety of sources, including manufacturers of
aluminum capacitors, as well as consumers of aluminum electrolytic
capacitors in the computer industry. It is our intention to report this
information so that companies subscribing to Passive Component Industry
Magazine are aware of this situation and take steps to determine their
exposure levels to this emerging problem.
At press time, IBM Corporation also confirmed the reports regarding failures
of Taiwanese aluminum capacitors, stating that five Taiwan-based companies
are involved, not just three. IBM further stated that it is not planning a
recall. The problem is limited to desktop computers only - no laptops are
affected. IBM further stated that the problem is universal, affecting most
brand name computer manufacturers in North America and Japan. IBM has
recorded some failures in the field, but plan on handling them under product
warrantee. IBM would not speculate on the effect this may have on the
aluminum electrolytic capacitor supply chain, but conceded that the effect
may be substantial. Intel also confirmed the story, but suggested the
problem might be more widespread and may have affected other aluminum
product lines, not just the low-ESR parts. Dell Computer also confirmed the
story, but would not comment further because of existing secrecy agreements.

Further intelligence revealed that Kamei/Jamicon sources its electrolytes
from Sanyo in Japan, and likely was not affected by the faulty electrolyte
supply. Teapo has stated that it obtains its electrolytes from Japan and was
not affected. They also stated that the situation is isolated to a few
suppliers in Taiwan, and is not characteristic of its product line or the
Taiwanese aluminum capacitor market in general. Teapo suspects it is an
attempt by Japanese aluminum capacitor suppliers to gain market share, and
that the unfortunate incident involving a few companies will unfairly
categorize the entire aluminum capacitor industry in Taiwan"