DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

October 2004

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Cliff Lamson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 2004 08:35:49 -0500
As you know Andy, my company has gone global with multiple design centers in
the US, Europe and Malaysia. We also have manufacturing in the US, Mexico,
China, Europe and Malaysia. We need this global footprint to compete and
survive in this economy. We can provide our customers with 24/7 design
service to get their products to market faster, which they often need. The
US based designers who succeed today not only need the technical skills and
education, but also the communication skills and flexibility to work with
the designers in other nations.

Immigrants have always been welcome in our workforce, and as long as they
were doing the menial labor, working for lower wages than we would accept,
we didn't mind. On the other end of the scale, there have always been
scientists, doctors, nurses and engineers from around the world who came to
fill positions we could not fill, because we do not educate enough of these
professionals. Remember Werner Von Braun? The difference today is
immigration has tightened up, the economy is truly a global machine, and
good designers can be found in all corners of the globe.

Your company certainly recognized that talent is talent, whether he is
sitting in Dallas or Sydney!

Cliff
Cliff Lamson, C.I.D.+
President, RTP Chapter