DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

October 2004

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Fred Dark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 2004 17:41:29 -0400
Thank's!

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe O'Neil [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 12:41 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [DC] Lead-Free Fab_notes

Fred and Ray;

Just last week we held a Lead Free Seminar in conjunction with the IPC
and CCA.  Copies of the presentation can be downloaded from:

http://www.hunterpcb.com/?action=text&id=100

In addition to Fred's point about the solder finishes there are also
concerns about the laminates - the reflow temperatures are higher within
the majority of lead-free processes.  There are also the issues of how
your board finish will interact with any of the dozen's of lead-free
solders.  And then how will those interact with your components which
may or may not be lead-free.

I really appreciate the question, because I see the problem as being one
of convergence.  From most fabricators you get the answer that Ray got,
'no problem,' from most assemblers you get the same answer.  It is only
when the poor OEM and the Designer sit down to put the project together
that it becomes clear that it is a big issue and can be a very big
problem.

Also on the site are downloads of the IPC's Solder Products Value
Council study on lead-free SAC Alloys.  And a presentation from a
Component Distributor who warns that 20-25% of the component
manufacturers are not changing part numbers when the change their
components to lead-free - So even if you are on a Military Project with
no lead-free concerns, you might see one of your components change
without a revision change- very nice indeed.

For designers, I see this as a major opportunity to increase the
value-add you bring to a project, to coordinate and call out the
COMPLETE OEM requirements, not simply the laminate and finish, put also
the paste.

Everyone seems to be looking for an opportunity of the US to regain some
footing in the design area, this lead-free implementation problem
requires someone to step forward and deliver to customers a clear and
complete solution, why can't it be the designer.  Why shouldn't it be
the designer?

Hopefully you find the presentation materials helpful.

My $0.02,
Joe O'Neil

Joseph F. O'Neil                     Vice President & General Manager
Hunter Technology Corporation    Subsidiary of Ambitech International

2941 Corvin Drive                       Santa Clara, California 95051
Fax (408) 245-5503                                  www.hunterpcb.com