TECHNET Archives

August 2004

From:
R Sedlak <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, R Sedlak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 2004 14:07:06 -0700
Mike:  ED/Double treat may be the easiest Copper to bond to existant... in fact, some time it causes "lock-in", and the resist is VERY difficult to get off...so this may not be a real relevant test.

You run through Shadow... which has a microetch... what is your rinsing quality after microetch?  Do you rinse in a tank, or spray?

One possibility..is the tarnishing of the boards.. they tarnish easily after microetch, unless the rinse is very well done... this means, if you rinse in a tank, you should never be in the tank more than 30 seconds.. and you should have a multi-tank cascade.

If spray, is the incoming fresh water going into the sump, or into the final spray bars?
The tarnish is triggered by dissolved Copper... and if you are not getting all of the Copper off, or (in a tank) staying in the presence of dissolved Copper too long... this could be causing Copper tarnish.

Rudy Sedlak
RD Chemical Company

Mike Wolf <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
We are experiencing resist adhesion failures in a random spotty nature,
after develop traces and or pads will just not be adhered.

We run a cert. piece everyday that never has these problems.
The cert piece is ED/double treat right out of the box.

The copper that has the adhesion problems has been processed in our
shop, we run electrochem's shadow system.

I know its not much to go on more details available to anyone
interested.