TECHNET Archives

June 2004

From:
Dwight Mattix <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 2004 10:38:08 -0700
Phil Bavaro is the master of this type stuff in our assembly area.  I don't
know what we'd do without our benchtop bead blast cabinet.  We've had a lot
of success removing mask and PTF (e.g. carbon ink) with walnut shell blast
media.  When it's tight quarters and precision is needed it's simple to
fabricate a metal stencil and overlay.  When it's real tight or high volume
then we've sent out and tool for removal on a laser.  We've done on the
order of 10,000 pieces when needed to implement ECO on the fly (e.g
component substitution due to shortages or tuning).

In the same vein, you can cut metal and/or dielectric using a stencil with
bicarbonate of soda as the blast media is effective.  We've successfully
blasted out 3 mil traces several layers down for ECO modifications.

cheers,
Dwight