TECHNET Archives

June 2004

From:
Bernard Kessler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jun 2004 12:28:59 -0700
I deal heavily in the "second" market (surplus, excess, etc.) along with
the buys from factories and authorized distributors.  I'm making two
assumptions----
1.  Where time permits, buys are from the factories and/or authorized
distributors and the problems noted should be very few and far
between.  It's normally a matter of pre-buy arrangements, agreements, and
all that stuff.

2.  Where time and availability don't permit buying from above
sources,  the purchasing department is buying from second market sources.

When the advantages of the second market kick in, join it with  the Deming
rule------- select three to five reliable, ethical sources and commit
purchasing from them if they will commit to supplying what you need.  Some
sources are extremely knowledgeable and have taping sources at their
disposal.  They are also active in buying from Global sources especially
China, from where we're getting more and more components each year.

Summary---- maybe not all but most of the problem are soluable with an
old-fashioned eye-ball meeting with your suppliers ---- and the partnership
aspect made a critical element of the discussions.  It's not easy --- but
doable.

Bernie Kessler

At 01:28 PM 06/25/2004 -0500, Dave Chapman wrote:
>We perform a Tape and Reel review on every new assembly and tell Purchasing
>how they must be received on the floor. If quantity or cost is above our
>business model level for reeled parts they are allowed to change our item
>master to TROP (Tape Reel Outside Process) and the parts are brought in a
>few days ahead of the scheduled run date and sent out to Mid America for
>tape and reeling.
>Our codes are
>TR=tape and reel
>TU=tube
>Bu=bulk for hand place parts
>TY=tray
>TR1= means regardless of cost these must be on tape and reel, since it goes
>on the high speed lines and we cannot compromise in production.
>If 100 pcs or more come in loose or in tubes and the item master calls for
>TR, it is automatically sent out for reeling.
>If less than 100 pcs are received then productions is queried whether they
>can use them as is or they have to be sent out.
>
>This process has taken us 2 years to refine and as of January I now only
>receive 1 e-mail about small quantities once a week.
>We write an NCR and purchasing has to answer that.
>Here is the required language we require our suppliers to put on all
>purchase orders. This was sent after we had received parts in little strips
>after repeated instructions to them stating this was not acceptable.
>
>I need you to get this issue to stop, we don't have time for it.. ( I'm sure
>you don't either. )
>These three parts are all for the same job, not being able to process what
>was provided has caused Production to tear-down the job and set-up for
>another....  (they're not happy about it.) - The buyers, yourself and I now
>have to process paperwork to return this material for credit. - Once again,
>we don't have time for this.
>
>I would like you to arrange to have "standard verbiage" print out on your
>picks that say "Customer will only accept one continuous strip on cut-tape
>orders / tubes... NO EXCEPTIONS".
>
>We have no choice, either we are a high speed  high quality shop or we are
>not. Each comes with expectations These are ours.
>Dave Chapman
>CSI

Bernard Kessler & Associates, Ltd
714-898-8422  562-598-5563  Fx: 562-431-1741
www.home.earthlink.net/~bkesslerbka
       Service is our Profession