TECHNET Archives

February 2003

From:
"FOX, Ian (York Rd)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 15:34:08 -0000
As a materials engineer by trade and having worked in the high rel
electronics (aero) industry since the early eighties, I feel qualified to
comment on this particular thread. Firstly, I wouldn't expect anyone to
disagree with the statement that you don't mix flux types, that is cast in
stone. There are however compatible liquid and plasticized fluxes sold by
all the usual suspects and we for instance use an RMA QPL listed product
from Alpha and so my comments reflect this.

In a practical hand soldering operation on an assembly with a reasonable
thermal demand, the plasticized flux tends to degrade pretty rapidly during
the initial stages of the hole fill operation and once you have a solder
plug you cannot introduce additional flux to the still to form joint area,
you are reliant on whatever plasticizes material managed to get there during
the initial stages of joint formation. Now with the vagaries of any hand
soldering operation you will get the occasional little bu**er of a joint
that won't go right first time. The addition of a drop of compatible liquid
flux to the joint area before the application of the iron and wire does go a
long way to overcoming the poor fillers (for want of a better description).
It is true to say that most joints can be adequately soldered with just the
original flux core, but it is so much easier with the addition of a drop of
liquid flux. Provided the two fluxes are compatible, provided the assemblies
are properly cleaned and verified as such then the use of a small amount of
liquid flux should not be an issue, although there are always occasions
where it isn't recommended and the aforementioned switches is one such
instance.

Ian Fox
Goodrich Engine Control Systems