TECHNET Archives

February 2003

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 10:03:55 +0200
JF

What you suggest is permissible because you are not mixing flux
residues, having removed the first one before applying the second one.
If you did it without the intermediate cleaning and tried to clean
afterwards, then you would probably be in DEEP trouble because some of
the WS flux residues would be held within the matrix of the no-clean and
would not be removed.

I still maintain that adding a liquid or gel flux to the use of a cored
solder flux, even of the same make and type, is not only dangerous but
even stupid. You are changing a reasonably well controlled process with
minimal but sufficient flux, restrained to where it is needed, to a
totally uncontrolled and uncontrollable process, spread far beyond to
where it is needed and where the thermal characteristics are not maintained.

As an illustration, take an RA flux (but a similar argument applies to
all flux types). This has a rosin matrix activated by, for example, an
amine hydrochloride. At about 160 deg C, the activator starts to
decompose, releasing hydrogen chloride gas which is the reducing agent
which "eats" away metallic oxides on the parts to be joined and on the
solder wire itself. However, decomposition is not complete until the
flux reaches about 250 deg C. Within the confines of a hand-soldered
joint, using a cored wire, the solid rosin itself does not spread far
from the joint, so there is a good chance that most of the activators
are decomposed with a soldering iron temp of, say, 350 deg C. Result:
almost no chlorides left in the residues, except the metal chlorides
from the reaction with oxides, which are held, more or less harmlessly,
as a solid solution within the rosin matrix. There is almost no free
active hydrogen chloride.

Now compare this with adding extra liquid flux. Firstly, there is no
guarantee that it can be applied ONLY in the immediate vicinity of the
joint; most operators will slosh it on in excess in the belief that if a
little is good, a lot is better. Secondly, being liquid, by definition,
the activators are not held in a matrix until all the solvent and
vehicle has evaporated, which may take several minutes at room
temperature. Apply a soldering iron and the solvent will boil as soon as
it reaches about 70 deg C; it will sputter active flux around the joint
over several mm if not cm. As this flux has not reached 250 deg C, nor
will it ever reach it, it will have free unmodified hydrochloride
activators alive and kicking, ready to cause ionic leakage and
corrosion. As the temperature rises further, the extra flux, still soft
by the unevaporated components within the rosin, will spread like mad,
carrying hydrochloride activators away from the joint region. Even
worse, some of it will reach about 160 deg C and the hydrogen chloride
will be partially liberated from decomposition but not be liberated from
the flux soup. Now, hydrogen chloride is hygroscopic and will absorb
moisture from the atmosphere and do you know what happens when this
happens? It forms hydrochloric acid. Now, you may want to take the risk
of having such a compound on your assemblies: I wouldn't.

So, the choice is yours: having a small quantity of innocuous flux
residues in the immediate vicinity of the solder joint OR having a wider
zone of dangerous sputtered and spread flux residues capable of causing
corrosion, ionic conduction and conductive metallic dendrites. It's as
simple as that.

Brian