TECHNET Archives

February 2003

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 16:13:13 +0200
What do you mean by less heat? A lower temperature? A shorter time?
Both? All that any of these means is that the conditions to form the
optimal joint no longer exist. Please do not forget that the formation
of a solder joint is a chemical reaction whereby (say) tin and copper
react to form intermetallic compounds. The optimal conditions require a
given combination of temperature of the tin AND copper over a given
time. Reduce either, and the joint is no longer optimal. The functions
of the flux are numerous, but its acidic activity is mainly to reduce
metallic oxides so that the tin and the copper are clean enough for the
metallurgical reaction to take place. This oxide reduction occurs mainly
during the preheating phase, before the copper reaches soldering
temperature, so the type or quantity of flux has relatively little
influence on the speed of the reaction, although a highly reactive flux,
such as a water-soluble organic hydrochloride type, may just reduce the
overall time by a tiny fraction of a second.

"In a quick poll of some of my fellow old-timers who worked on military
stuff all agreed." I guess your "old-timers" must be quite old, from the
days when soldering was a "seat-of-the-pants" art and not a science,
like it is today. Any person mixing two flux types for a military
application would be shot down in flames by the inspectors from the UK
Ministry of Defence and, presumably, the US DoD or sent out to Iraq to
make sure Saddam's famous WMD would fail from faulty electronics. What
you are proposing is an antithesis of reliability. Please quote me a
single MIL Spec since Julius Caesar's days that said, "Thou art
permitted to make whatever mixture of fluxes you please." or words to
that effect. In all my 50 years of experience in this industry, I have
never, ever, seen it done: the only times I've seen liquid flux used for
hand soldering, it was with coreless, solid solder wire.

In the very unlikely event that there is insufficient flux in a cored
solder wire, then I very seriously suggest that, before you jeopardise
the reliability of your products, you consult the manufacturer of the
wire and have it exchanged for one with a slightly greater percentage of
flux, or you change suppliers.

Brian