TECHNET Archives

February 2003

From:
Rick Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 09:10:00 -0800
Daan,

While the DRS24 is a nice system, I think it may have some of the same
limitations as other hot-air machines of it's vintage. Airflow on these
machines tends to move small parts around.  If you switch to a low flow
option, it's sometimes difficult to get enough heat, especially if you have
a small footprint board. We have both SRT 1100 and a DRS24 and find similar
limitations.  It does also need nozzles.  A couple of systems I've looked at
recently were impressive with their ability to handle small components.
Metcal has a couple of hot-air units that are designed to handle very small
BGAs, micro-BGAs, CSPs, etc. ERSA has an IR unit that we were very impressed
with. It handled boards from small PCMCIA size to large 8x12 boards that are
bonded to a .400" aluminum heatsink on both sides. It depends on visually
watching the BGA ball drop, so it has some limitations due to visibility,
but overall for a wide variety of work, it would be one I looked at.

Rick Thompson

Sr. SMT Process Engineer
SMTEK International, Inc.
+1 (805) 532-2800