TECHNET Archives

February 2003

From:
ME Magnin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 17:29:55 +0100
Hi Jean-François,
we have faced two major crisis with cracked multilayer capacitors in the
past.
the first one, at the very beginning of our SMD experience and very easily
solved, was when we were separating panalized boards by hand and was solved
by using a CAB machine. Rule : never bend a board.
the second was really tricky and took us weeks to find the real explanation.
the basic reason was the same : boards were flexed during insertion of a 28
pins EPROM into a socket. the board had some 40 caps on the bottom side, but
the borken ones were distributed on the line of maximum flexion.

to find more explanations, please visit AVX website (i saw it a few weeks
ago, but I cannot remember the URL, try with Google).

Regarding your option to move to TH caps, we did this sometimes, but because
the pitch is quite narrow, you take the risk of shorts, cracked bodies,
etc...
And second, depending on the quantity of caps you have to change, it will
cost your company at lot

good luck

Marie Magnin

FIRSTEC SA