TECHNET Archives

September 2002

From:
Earl Moon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 04:54:22 -0500
Folks,

During some of my consulting efforts, I have had some interesting conference
calls recently. I am finding now, as some time before but not really
noticing, that some Asian PCB shops do not use 2113 or 2313 glass style
materials. They do use a lot of 1506 types (about 6 mil thickness with a
relatively low resin content approximating 7628) we do not use in the US.
What makes this particularly interesting is my need to transfer MLB
technology to Asian shops.

As one example, for some hi-rel board types I designed using, of course,
DFM/CE and my TABLE II in my book, I needed to get concurrent with the
supplier selected by our Asian cuatomer. Our Asian customer needs a "local"
shop to do their boards now that we have proven they work very well.

Anyway, we had several conference calls with our customer's potential new
supplier and found issues with the above mentioned materials, the initial
quality and long term reliability issues as well as impedance requirements
to be an interesting study in concurrent engineering. For hours we discussed
some basic and advanced isses and are proceeding rather well though I never
knew this gap existed between them and us.

Part of what came out the telephone meetings is the following table I
created many years ago and I use with all my clients to ensure the highest
initial and long term reliability MLB's at a good price:

TABLE II
POD Laminate Material
Core Chart For Dimensional Stability,
MLB Laminate Integrity, And Impedance Control

REQUIREMENT
   PREFERRED   NOT PREFERRED

PREG THICKNESS/"   GLASS STYLE/% RESIN - SINGLE PLY
0.0017
    106 (75%)
0.0025
    1080 (65%)
0.0035
    2113 (58%)
0.0045
    2116 (55%)
0.0070
    7628 (44%)

DIELECTRIC THICKNESS/"  GLASS STYLE - MULTI PLY

0.004      106, 2113    1080,1080
0.005
    1080, 1080
0.006      1080, 2113   106,106,106
0.007      1080, 2116   7628
0.008      2113, 2113   1080, 2113, 1080
0.009      2116, 2116   1080,2116,1080
0.010      2116, 2116   1080,2116,1080
0.011      2113, 1080, 2113   106,7628,106
0.012      1080, 7628, 1080   2113,2113,2113
0.013
    2113, 7628, 2113   7628,7628
0.014      2113, 7628, 2113   7628,7628
0.015      2113, 7628, 2113
0.016      2113, 7628, 2113  or use   2116,7628,2116

I've also incorporated some changes to the table as part of the continuous
improvement process. These changes, for you having the MoonMan DFM/CE book
should be made to your TABLE II.

I'm interested in any comments regarding material types worldwide and what
others are using relative to TABLE II. Having been in this awhile, I realize
everyone has their way of doing things and using whatever they want - within
the limits of quality and reliability standards.

MoonMan