TECHNET Archives

July 2002

From:
Phil Nutting <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 12:43:27 -0400
Linda,

In a nutshell here is what we do.  We first start with a good standard solder connection with a short or clinched lead.  Then we heat up the joint and add more solder until there is a nice dome over the whole solder joint.  If you leave the soldering iron on the solder too long you will get spikes as the solder ages.
There may be specs with quantifying numbers of how high, angle of curve, etc.  This is something that I haven't found extensive data/specs to support.  It is something that is unique to those of us who are working with higher voltages.

Phil Nutting