TECHNET Archives

May 2002

From:
Kathy Kuhlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2002 11:24:06 -0500
We utilize commodity codes and the inventory classifications by dollar value.  We use a seven digit number and the first 3 are the commodity.  If a part is revision controlled we add an R and then the rev at the end of the part number.  This allows us to see old rev parts for ECN/MRB disposition if necessary.  You can then also start purchasing by commodity.  But also put into measures how part descriptions are entered.  I just saw a part number for say a 10K 5% resistor but found another part number for a 10000 5% resistor.  Same part different mentality when entering the part description.

I worked for a distribution center that used a 17 digit part number.  All they did was fastener distribution and point of use programs with large OEM's.  The part number when correctly deciphered would tell you exactly what the part should be in your hand.  Unfortunately it drove most of the purchasing people nuts when quoting because the quoting was down by hand and it was a system that was very dependent on consistency with 8-10 different employees.

Kathy

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"> <META content="MSHTML 6.00.2715.400" name=GENERATOR></HEAD> <BODY style="MARGIN-TOP: 2px; FONT: 10pt MS Sans Serif; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px"> <DIV>We utilize commodity codes and the inventory classifications by dollar value.&nbsp; We use a seven digit number and the first 3 are the commodity.&nbsp; If a part is revision controlled we add an R and then the rev at the end of the part number.&nbsp; This allows us to see old rev parts for ECN/MRB disposition if necessary.&nbsp; You can then also start purchasing by commodity.&nbsp; But also put into measures how part descriptions are entered.&nbsp; I just saw a part number for say a 10K 5% resistor but found another part number for a 10000 5% resistor.&nbsp; Same part different mentality when entering the part description.&nbsp; </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>I worked for a distribution center that used a 17 digit part number.&nbsp; All they did was fastener distribution and point of use programs with large OEM's.&nbsp; The part number when correctly deciphered would tell you exactly what the part should be in your hand.&nbsp; Unfortunately it drove most of the purchasing people nuts when quoting because the quoting was down by hand and it was a system that was very dependent on consistency with 8-10 different employees.&nbsp; </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Kathy</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>