TECHNET Archives

May 2002

From:
Earl Moon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 May 2002 15:33:18 -0500
Dave,

I wish I could tell you all the expericnces I've had. It's a long list but
starting from the bent column situation, they are a problem both in
production and rework.

Please be advised these devices had cast columns not clasp. Also, the use
environment was strictly commercial as in Cray and SGI products. Cray had
much higher quality and reliability requirements than SGI even though SGI
used to own Cray.

I started doing this stuff, along with my very good associates, about three
years ago. Under "normal" use conditions, these things are still working
today - according to those same associates with whom I maintain close
contact.

Only concern I really had was the very large physical mass sitting on all
those little columns. No matter, at a 1200 column count, they were well
supported.

Just know the comumns are very compliant, even to the point of being bent.
Does require some careful inspection and straightening, if needed, before
placement and soldering.

Just don't know how these things work under your operational conditions.
Sure would like to know but I like them over BGA's any day for normal stuff.

Also need to add here: No mechanical stress or shock but considerable
thermal stress during operation. Used some exoctic cooling at times but not
always.

Earl