TECHNET Archives

May 2002

Date:
Thu, 30 May 2002 08:36:40 +0800
Hi, Tony,

When I first read your posting, I bet myself a beer that you were using
laser drilled blind vias. I also bet myself that they were probably below
0.012" - are they? How deep do they go? You will have great difficulty
filling a small-diameter, blind laser-drilled via with this epoxy, or any
other, unless you can do it in a vacuum. The problem is being able to
displace the air inside the hole.

Dupont CB100 (now CB101, by the way) has a very small particle size, and is
specifically designed to fill small holes well. Any alternatives I have
heard of have larger particles and don't fill holes nearly as well. If you
have to keep the via-in-pad design, you may be faced with fabricating the
board with conventional drilling. This will mean laminating the layers
containing your blind vias and processing them as through holes. These can
then be filled successfully and outgassed, ground flat, etc., before the
remaining layers are laminated onto the stack, drilled and plated. It's
quite possible to fill holes up to 0.025" diameter and only 0.007" deep
with CB100/101, without the over-plated pads popping off during reflow.

The only other reason I can think of why pads would come off is if the
plating adhesion to the epoxy is faulty and you have a large CTE mismatch
between the BGA and the substrate material. Differential expansion could be
pulling weak pads off (??). Plating to CB100/101 is usually very
successful, so I can't say why plating adhesion should be bad - if it is.

Good luck
Peter

tony steinke <[log in to unmask]>  30/05/2002 04:09 AM
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>

Please respond to "TechNet E-Mail Forum."; Please respond to tony steinke