TECHNET Archives

May 2002

From:
"Creswick, Steven" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 May 2002 14:26:01 -0400
Bob,

In MHO, I have always assumed the desiccant was 'virgin' dry when it was
vacuum sealed into a bag by a SUPPLIER - therefore, IT should not outgas
moisture - but, if the CONTENTS of the bag did outgas, the desiccant was
there to pick it up.

On the other hand, if the desiccant was old/previously used, I would think
that moisture would be drawn from it - potentially contaminating the
contents - to some degree.  Along the lines of you may be thinking.  Read
as, "Make sure one, or both are dry before re-bagging.

How about this concept - If you are not sure that the desiccant is fresh,
virgin material, don't vacuum seal it in the bag.

I don't figure a quickie nitrogen blow-through does an adequate job of
removing the moisture from the components just before sealing the bag, but
it may do a fair job of excluding the potentially humid atmospheric air - so
a FRESH desiccant could be of benefit.

I don't know what the actual vacuum level is, but it does appear to reduce
the internal pressure to a sub-atmospheric level - otherwise why would
blister packs, etc. (which are bagged up) be partially collapsed.

Anyway, I am certainly no expert, but have found the discussion to be
interesting.

Steve Creswick - Gentex Corporation