TECHNET Archives

May 2002

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 May 2002 09:47:59 +0300
Leland

I must endorse what the others say. There are indeed very few "no-clean"
fluxes (if any) that can be effectively cleaned with a straight
water-wash. There are some (but by no means all) which may be cleaned
using a saponifier wash, such as Vigon A-200, or some others with a
hydrocarbon wash, such as some of the Petroferm so-called "semi-aqueous"
(what a misnomer!) products, followed by a good water wash in both
cases. In all cases, you would need to qualify the process to find out
whether it was suitable for your flux: this would probably be one
helluva lot more work than qualifying a water-soluble flux and a
straight aqueous cleaning process. Furthermore, the latter will save you
kilobucks because you are using something designed for the job, with
minimal extra chemicals required, and which is cheaper to buy, easier to
solder with, easier to clean and so on and so on and so on......

Brian