IPC-600-6012 Archives

May 2002

IPC-600-6012@IPC.ORG

From:
Steven M Nolan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Combined Forum of D-33a and 7-31a Subcommittees)
Date:
Thu, 9 May 2002 10:37:11 -0500
John,

As I ponder IPC-6012A with amendment 1, my interpretation of Section
3.5.4.6 is that it deals with metal finish coating only (ie: Gold, Tin,
Solder, etc not to include OSP) and allows some percentage of exposed
copper in non soldered areas. Rework of theses exposed copper areas is
not easily accomplished and if attempted could cause problems.
Section 3.8.1 deals with solder resist coating only and does not allow
any exposed metal. Touch up of the solder resist is easily accomplished.
Therefore I do not see a conflict and that the Sections identified are
very appropriate.

Steve Nolan
MTS Manufacturing
SGI