DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

June 2001

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Roger M. Stoops" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 12:23:50 -0400
Matthew,
Typically I make all my main power and ground (0v) planes solid.  If a
power plane needs more than 1 voltage on it, it becomes a split plane with
0.010"-0.015" [0.25-0.40mm] spacing between planes.  But in your case it
sounds like you are doing discreet wiring between circuit nodes that need
power.  You could cross-hatch the 0v plane (not necessarily good for
high-current or high-speed designs, and the style of cross-hatching could
have adverse effect on impedance), or you could fill all unused space on
the power plane with copper connected to power or ground and make the 0v
plane solid.  Either way should reduce warping, as long as the design is
balanced (yours seems to be).  Either method should have little impact on
heat absorption, since the assembly needs to be properly profiled for good
reflow results.
Go get 'em, tiger!
Roger M. Stoops, C.I.D., PCB Designer

Matthew Lamkin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi again folks,
Re the ,Multilayer board that I asked about a while ago, well I'm well on
my
way with it now...

And I just got a question about the 0v plane..

Should it be solid copper groundplane or should it be hatched?

Recently I have started to use hatched groundplane to reduce the likelihood
of the board
warping due to uneven copper distribution, to make it better for etching
and
to reduce the amount of
heat absorption when going through the Reflow oven.

The question is, does any of this (or other stuff) apply to an inner layer?

The board is 4 up as:
Top = SMT components & some tracking.
Top inner = 0v groundplane
Bottom inner = Positive supply signals (not a single plane, but split into
isolated supply signals)
Bottom = Signal tracks that won't fit on the top.

All the extra colours for the extra layers are doing my head in - a bit of
optical overload.

Matthew Lamkin.

To set a vacation stop for delivery of DesignerCouncil send: SET
DesignerCouncil NOMAIL
E-mail Archives
Please visit IPC web site (http://www.ipc.org/html/forum.htm) for
additional